Going Away With Scheme

Who can apply?

The Going Away With scheme is open to members who have completed the leadership qualification and currently hold an active role as a leader, commissioner or adviser.

What will I learn?

This scheme is designed to be as flexible as possible, depending on what kind of trip you’re planning with your girls. For example, if you want to take your girls to an accredited activity centre where programme, catering and facilities are already provided, you’ll only need the basic Going Away With licence.

You’ll need to complete additional modules if you plan to take on more of the organisation of your next trip – for example, Module 5 on catering if you plan to provide food.

The Going Away With licence

The first four modules equip leaders with the Going Away With licence. This qualifies you to take girls away overnight or for two nights or more if programme, catering and facilities are already provided. Modules 1 to 4 cover:

  • planning a successful residential event
  • administration of a residential event
  • managing safety and security away from home
  • making health and first aid arrangements.

Additional modules

Once you have the basic licence, you can pick up additional modules depending on the responsibility you will have during a residential event. You will only ever need these additional modules if you are going away for two nights or more. 

  • Module 5 organise the catering arrangements
  • Module 6 – coordinate a programme of activities for participants
  • Module 7 – organise the care and maintenance of facilities
  • Module 8 – organise the care and maintenance of camping equipment.

Before completing any of the above modules, you must have completed, or be working towards, the Going Away With licence.

Module 9 – travelling abroad

If you’re planning to take girls on a residential abroad, you should have completed, or be working towards, the Travelling abroad module. This module has a set of minimum requirements you need to fulfil before you can complete it – visit our Travelling abroad page for more information

What will I need to do?

The Going Away With scheme is practically assessed, so you will need to plan and run residential trips with girls and provide evidence of your work. You will be assigned a Mentor, who will support you along the way and assess you before, during and after each event.

How do I get started?

  1. Contact your local commissioner, who will put you in touch with an outdoor activity adviser in your area.
  2. Buy a copy of the Going Away With scheme from the online shop.
  3. Your adviser will then help you to find a suitable mentor, who can support you through the scheme